Skip to main content

City of Los Angeles Board of Public Works Office of Accounting

The Office of Accounting provides accounting and financial services to all the Bureaus of the Department of Public Works (Bureau of Contract Administration, Bureau of Engineering, Bureau of Sanitation, Bureau of Street Lighting, Bureau of Street Services) and the Board of Public Works. It provides financial reporting support to the Department, City Controller, the City Administrative Officer, Office of Finance and other City Departments.

The Office accounts for all financial transactions, accumulates and records project and program costs, bills and collects revenue from the public and governmental agencies for City services; bills and collects reimbursements from federal, state and local grantor agencies and bond funds that finance City capital projects; assures expenditures are in compliance within appropriation and budgetary constraints; processes payments to vendors, contractors and suppliers; prepares financial reports and statements for Department special program and capital funds; implements business systems and ad hoc financial reporting systems; and is responsible for maintaining the financial integrity of accounting records.

The Office is responsible for ensuring that the Department is in compliance with internal control policies (ICP), generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and standards (GAAS), applicable pronouncements established by Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and by Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). The Office acts as the Department's main coordinator and conduit with the City's internal auditors, other governmental agencies' auditors, and the City's contracted independent Certified Public Accountant (CPA).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I pay a bill in person?

Los Angeles City Hall
200 N. Spring Street
Room 924, 9th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Where can I mail my check to pay my bill?

Office of Accounting
Attention: Accounts Receivable
City Hall Main
9th Floor, Room 967
Los Angeles, CA 90012

How long does it take before my invoice gets paid?

It depends. By law, count 30 calendar days from:

  • For construction contracts: 30 calendar days from the time the invoice is approved by the Payment Section of the Bureau of Contract Administration.
  • For personal service contracts: 30 calendar days or per the term of the contract/MOU from the time "clean" invoice is received by a Department of Public Work's Bureau.

What is a "clean" invoice?

A "clean" invoice refers to an invoice that meets all of the City's requirements and contract terms.

What if my invoice is later determined as not "clean"?

Your Program Manager will either return the invoice to you or ask you to rectify the problem. In this case, the 30 calendar days will start to count from the time the invoice was "cleaned".

How can I get a refund for a fee, charge, or other item paid?

File a claim for refund. Form is available through the Office of the City Clerk website.

After I file my "Claim for Refund" at the City Clerk's office, what do I do?

Nothing. Upon receipt of your claim, the City Clerk's Office will forward the claim to the Department of Public Works for review and approval. If necessary, a Council approval maybe required. Once approval is granted, your refund check will be mailed to you at the address you provided.

Note: For claims for damages or injury by the City, the Office of the City Clerk will forward your claim to the City Attorney's Office.

Where can I obtain a Wastewater Financial Statement?

Send your request by mail to:
SCM Financial Reporting Section
200 N. Spring St., Room 967

City Hall Main
Los Angeles, CA 90012

or by phone by calling: (213) 978-0989 
or by fax at: (213) 978-1004 
or by email to

Policies and Procedures

Policies and Procedures